Re: Still more lyrical interpretation stuff

Mark Leaman, Re:

>Here something I've always wondered about. In the song Amazing Journey,
>Tommy encounters a man "Wrapped in a silver-sparked glitttering gown/And his
>golden beard flowed nearly down the the ground..." and it goes on to say
>"He's your leader, he's your guide/On the amazing journey together you'll
>ride..."
>For me, visions of Gandalf sprang to mind (having read Lord Of The Rings
>about the same time I first heard Tommy). In the movie this guide is Tommy's
>dad. But I can't help but wonder what Townshend originally had in mind. You
>must assume, since the song takes place inside Tommy's mind, that it's a
>facet of said mind (I guess). Or is it a supernatural agency that disappears
>after this one appearance?
>Another question: Is it Tommy or this guide who has "Sparkle warm crystaline
>glances to throw..."? I always thought that this was Pete's way of telling
>the audience that Tom could really see...but the rest of the lyrics suggest
>otherwise.
>Anyone have any ideas in this department?

        Uuuh...I dunno.  However, I do want to comment on that line,
"Wrapped in a silver-sparked glittering gown/And his golden beard flowed
nearly down the the ground..."  I've always had a very high opinion of
Daltrey for his ability to sing that tongue twister.
                                                                       Stacey