Re: Lifehouse/Rush

In a message dated 96-04-03 23:43:59 EST, chris@trn.or.jp (Chris Hinkle)
writes:

>they're both science fiction, and involve
>liberation thru music, but they've never struck me
>as being that similar beyond that.  2112 is very
>pessemistic.

     "Pessimistic?" Could be, but ... After listening to the
Lifehouse documentary, I re-listened to 2112 and
thought they were a little more similar than simply
science fiction -- both involve a society that banished
rock 'n' roll for the sake of domestic tranquility,
banished its purveyors (in 2112 it's "the elder race"),
both involve an innocent rediscovery of music and
return of the rockers to  liberate a  spiritually oppressed
society. The end of the 2112 story deals directly with
the overthrow of the Temple, at least as I heard it.

     None of this *dictates* a Lifehouse connection, but
I see more thematic similarities than differences --
which is why I asked the question in the first place ... :}