Who Fest '95 (fwd)

WFang01@aol.com writes:
>From list-owner-thewho  Wed Sep 27 15:19:28 1995
From: WFang01@aol.com
 Sun Dec  7 12:47:50 PST 1997
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 18:15:02 -0400
To: thewho@cisco.com
Subject: Who Fest '95

I think I'm a bit more awake today... First, I'd like to thank George Coelho,
who made my trip to the fest possible. Not understanding these British
events, I made plans to go to England, without having tickets! Anyway, George
was kind enough to respond to my "plea" for help and really came
through---again, many thanks!

It was also very nice to meet some of the faces behind the postings here.
It's nice to meet people with similar interests and kindred spirits in this
regard...

Now, to Who Fest...

Of course my first goal was to make a "beeline" to the dealer tables. God
forbid anyone buy a Who record that I wanted to buy! I was happy to purchase
another Keith Moon single with picture sleeve ("Crazy Like A Fox" from Spain)
as well as a few other pieces I wanted. My other goal was to meet Jon Astley
and discuss with him "A Quick One". I got more than I bargained for. Jon was
extremely nice and introduced me to Andy Macpherson, who I think I talked to
for about 2 hours. At one point he asked me what was wrong, 'cause I wasn't
looking at him. However, Jodi Linscott and Billy Nicolls were standing next
to him having a nice conversation and I was a little distracted! Anyway, I
was told if I can find the master tapes to "A Quick One", it would be done
right. I believe they're sitting at the Polydor warehouse in Germany, so
let's see how clever I can be...

I met Irish Jack, who was nice enough to agree that "Before I Get Old" is a
piece of shit. People love to argue with me on that, but my point is, that
it's only half a book.

Somehow I got interviewed on "Live TV". Maybe someone from England can
explain what that REALLY is.

Keith Moon's mom ("mum") and sister were very nice!

Overall, EVERYONE was very nice.

I got a kick out of Paul Townshend dancing and singing along to Deja Who.

The concert was great. Zak played great drums, but kinda looks funny up there
with the rest of the band... "Relay" was my highlight, followed by "Naked
Eye" and "The Punk Meets The Godfather"... Roger wouldn't sign autographs,
but he was posing with fans for pictures! :)

The next day we went to the London Victoria record show (~500 tables).
Nothing too exciting, but found a few things anyway. I was overall
disappointed over the general lack of Who records in the London record stores
as well... I did come across an acetate of "I'm The Face", but thought that
600 pounds was a bit more than I wanted to spend...

We also went to a few record stores in Belguim and Holland. Found very
little.

Jackpot in Paris! The Paris record show had to have been the best record show
I was ever at in terms of content. Too much smoke and too many people, I
could have easily spend 2 full days looking through tons of records!
Unfortunately, the prices were ridiculous. Few bargains. The nicest thing I
passed up, was a copy of "Dogs" from Belguim. Gorgeous sleeve. However, the
dealer wanted about $500 for it! (He tried to explain it was a PROMO copy).
Did find the Japanese "Gold Double Album", which I'm hoping will contain
stereo mixes to "The Last Time" and "Under My Thumb", but I won't get to play
it 'till the weekend. At one of the last tables I was at, there it was
"Kensington High Street" (written by Pete Townshend) by the Dead Sea Fruit,
so I bought that too!

The same day as above, we drove back to Calais, where we took the Hovercraft
back to England, where we proceeded to Brighton. I was told that the record
show there was great, but it wasn't. Mostly new wave crap. Very little Who.
However, I saw a table with old 45s sorted in record label, and there it
was... "Join My Gang" (written by Pete) by Oscar! Sold for 5 pounds!

So... there you have it 12 days in Europe, Who Festing and Who shopping. I
met some very nice peple, bought some good stuff and came home in one
piece...

In case you're curious... the "live" market has seriously dried up over
there... I saw very little. You'd have better luck in NYC...

Oh... what I didn't come home with is what I was REALLY looking for---the "I
Won't Run Anymore" CD single! If anyone wants to sell or trade for their
copy??? BTW, the "A Friend Is A Friend" 3" CD single, was also pressed as a
full size CD single in Austria, just in case anyone had to know that!

WF <~

PS The TV in France was great! Too bad I can't understand French!