Re: Pete and Fuzz Boxes

At 04:24 PM 9/25/95, Jeff Williams wrote:

>On LAL you can definitely hear it switched from clean to distorted, but
>I believe this to be merely switching which pickup is being played, and having
>the volume quiet on one and loud on the other will give all the effect (no pun
>intended) of turning on a fuzz box.

I have read that Pete ran his amps flat out and used the volume knob on the
guitar to control distortion.  You can hear this all over LAL, and
especially on My Generation.  On the Tanglewood video and after Pete does
occasionally stomp on something for short solos, massive sustain and during
demolition of instruments.  Maybe a booster, instead of a fuzz?

For those unfamiliar with tube amps: One of their major advantages over
solid state amps is the ability to get nice clean sounds by rolling off the
guitar volume.  Tube amps are also more responsive to playing attack.  And
you can fry eggs on them.

Later
Joe

P.S.  Hello to all my fellow conventioneers!  Hope you enjoyed it as much
as I did.