Re: Quad/WBN

WF writes:
> >I agree to some extent, but this album was really where we saw Moon begin to
> weaken...
>
> I think I need to remind everyone that not all the material Pete has written
> was really suitable for Keith as a drummer. It's hard to imagine Keith
> "weakening" for "Who By Numbers", then going on tour shortly after and
> playing some of the BEST drums he ever played. Read John Entwislte's comments
> in the August "Record Collector".

I will agree that several of the tunes on WBN did not offer Moon the
opportunity to stand out.  But my point was that the inventive fills and
overplaying that are found in parts of every album prior to WBN just aren't
there, even on songs were they could be.  The dominant drum parts on the
album are rather ordinary by Moon standards.  The drumming on WBN is not
lousy, it just doesn't have the flashes of brilliance and originality that
the earlier work had.

It's not that Keith could no longer deliver (I'll take Entwistle's word for
that), but IMO WBN was where we saw his studio work descend from phenominal
to merely good.

Dave Elliott