Re[2]: Quad/WBN

Mike wrote:
> I agree that as I get older (I'm 32) WBN becomes more and more relevant. It
> was really the first Who LP that tried to face up to adulthood.

This seems to be a common thread of the posts on WBN, but I don't look at
this album this way.  It was written for the most part when Townshend was
approaching 30, and followed on the heels of the really rough Quad tour,
the middling commercial acceptance of Quad (which I think at the time
Townshend considered to be his masterpiece), and the exhausting work on the
Tommy movie.  Rather than facing up to adulthood, Townshend is plunging into
a full fledged "I'm turning 30 and I'm a failure" crisis.  Not only that,
but he saw himself becoming the person who he spit at in My Generation, and
it depressed the snot out of him.

In some ways WBN is a continuation of The Seeker ("I'm a really desperate
man") 5 years later.

          Dave, YES! YES! You have matched my thinking exactly! You
          have added support for my point that Townshend saw QUAD as
          his masterpiece that didn't get the popular acceptance he
          wanted!  Townshend had ALWAYS sought popularity and
          acceptance (people who don't believe this should read his
          interviews from the '70s and '80s).  The "failure of QUAD",
          the rough QUAD tour, when audiences only wanted the standard
          Who fare, the difficulty working with backing tapes, the
          slap-in-the-face of HAVING to come back to TOMMY to stay in
          the foreground, all of these things hurt Townshend, and WBN
          is the manifestation of that hurt and anger (and hitting 30,
          too).

Though there are glimpses of maturity in songs after WBN (Keep On Working,
Daily Records, Slit Skirts, and a couple of others), I think Pete is still
grappling with many of the same issues 20 years later at age 50.

          I can't argue with that.  But I also think that Pete has
          changed his musical approach and is now going to experiment
          more with largescale theatre (a la Broadway) than with RNR.
          He wants to be Andrew Lloyd Weber (Pete had some nasty
          things to say about him circa 1993 when PSYCHODER... was
          coming out).  I still say that we should all watch for
          QUADROPHENIA and/or LIFEHOUSE being produced for theatre.
          It just makes sense considering Pete's penchant for trying
          to resurrect his work--see, he's still after that acceptance
          for his efforts.
> There's a sense of "owning up" to past failures and trying to move on into
> uncharted territory.

I'd have to disagree here.  WBN always gave me a sense of "I can't deal with
my life", rather than owning up to past failures.  Has Pete ever "owned up"
to anything?  To me that's akin to apologizing, and that doesn't seem to be
in his nature.

          Dave, Once again, I can't argue with you on this either.
          There are no apologies on WBN.  Hell, if you want to see
          Pete's contempt for apologizing, read his  linear notes for
          the boxed set.  Sheesh, was I the only Who fan who felt
          slapped around a little by Pete's diatribe?

> (Also, the Who's playing as a whole really clicked on this LP.  I don't think
> Daltrey's sounded better or Entwistle's played better bass).

I agree to some extent, but this album was really where we saw Moon begin to
weaken.  In fact, I think that they used session drummers for some of the
songs.  On WBN Moon seemed to be emulating himself, rather than charting new
territory as he always had before.  It got a lot worse on Who Are You,
though.

All in all, I find WBN to be a very interesting album, and a fine work.  It
was Pete's first intensely personal writing, and showed a person struggling
to deal with his life, but with enough courage to admit it to the world.

          Dave, I agree (again) that WBN is where we see Moon weaken
          and stick to his QUAD form of lots of rolls across his kit.
          I, too, heard they used session drummers.  Can anyone on the
          list confirm this?  WBN is a great album, but it began the
          cycle of Pete's personal writing for Who albums, which
          ultimately did the group in when Empty Glass became a hit
          and Pete got that acceptance he so desperately sought and
          realized he no longer needed Daltrey or Entwistle to support
          his work.  That's why I put WBN a notch below the Who's
          great plateau of work (Sellout through QUAD).  --Jim

Dave Elliott