Re[2]: Who's Next Masters Missing

MObien writes:
>In regards to The Who By Numbers, I think it's  the band's most
>underappreciated album. Daltrey's tough interpretation of Townshend's lyrics
>made this more than just a Townshend "solo LP". Lyrics such as: "Like a woman
>in childbirth grown ugly in a flash/I've seen magic and pain, now I'm
>recycling trash" OR "Imagine events that occur everyday/like a shooting, a
>raping, or a simple act of deceit" are among the best Pete has ever written.

Daltrey on WBN:
"There was a breakthrough on the side of musical content because we had a
serious discussion about how the 'Oo had worked itself into a niche, hence
there's a lot of different feels on the album.  That's cool.  I know it's only
my personal opinion, but if Pete would explain things like 'They're All In
Love' then I think it would help for a better understanding.  Truthfully
that's one song that I really didn't wanna sing until Pete clarified certain
aspects.  I knew what the first two verses were about but the last one had me
completely baffled.  'Goodbye all you punks...' is a goodbye to all your
nostalgic bastards who are still living on the nostalgic part of the 'Oo
because nostalgia just ain't no good to us.  We're not past it, we're just
different."

 >Like much of Who Are You, this LP was a personal work but it worked well as
>a Who LP. I always wished that Pete had recorded Empty Glass (plus Dance it
>Away) as a Who LP because I think it would have been a classic like Who By
>Numbers. Pete definitely used his second team of songs for Face Dances (and
>It's Hard, for that matter).

Townshend on WBN:
" 'Who By Numbers' was revealing, I suppose, because it was all I had left at
the time.  I just thought, 'what am I gonna do, because I'm fucked up, not
writing anything?'  There was one little chink in the armour, and that's the
ukulele track 'Blue Red & Grey.' "

OK,
KLW

PS: WBN is also one of my favorite albums of all time, mostly for the musical
textures and the brutally honest lyrics.