Who's Next/Leslie West

Hello to all.  I am new to this mailing list, but have been reading the
alt.music.who newsgroup for some time now.  My background, briefly, is that
the Who have been my favorite band for almost 25 years now.  I saw them in
'70, '71, '75 and '80.

Now, on to business.  I just bought the boot CD "From Lifehouse to Leeds".
I have heard much about it and bought it mainly for the studio version of
"Baby Don't Ya Do It".  However, on first listening I was stunned to
realize that three (maybe four) of the "live in the studio" tracks from the
Who's Next sessions feature Leslie West, the guitarist for Mountain.  There
is no doubt that this is Leslie.  His style to too distinctive to miss.
Also, I had recently read his claim to have been involved in the Who's Next
sessions.  I didn't know whether to believe it or not until now.

These are rehearsed songs he is playing on, not just a jam session.  They
are Love Ain't For Keeping, WGFA, Behind Blue Eyes (maybe), and BDYDI.  My
questions are, was anyone else aware that this CD included those Leslie
West sessions, and why do you think Pete had him in the studio working on
songs from their new album?

Mick McLaughlin
mick.mclaughlin@nashville.com

    "Time is what keeps everything from happening at once."