Re: The Who 1989

> In June 1989 the Who spent two weeks in my town rehearsing for the tour. The
> first show of the tour was in our 6000 seat Glens Falls Civic Center (Glens
> Falls, NY). While it was great to be in the second row right in front of
> Townshend this was but a shadow of what the Who once was. I was lucky enough
> to see them in 1967, 71, 73, 75, 79, 82 and 89. I am glad that Townshend is
> letting them rest in peace. I hope they never do another show as the Who. I
> agree 100% with what Scott James said. IMHO, he is totally correct.

Here here! Even though I consider myself one of the younger fans
(since '79), I'd rather see the Who as they were in their prime than
to see another '82 and '89 tour.  It's ashame that Roger just
doesn't get it and puts the Who's name in jeopardy of joining the
ranks of various oldies groups (some already feel this is the case).
I can understand the reasoning behind the '89 tour which was to bury
the recent past of a spiritless '82 tour and to perform Tommy in
full again.  At least they accomplished those objectives and Pete
called it a day.  I always wondered had Moon lived would the Who
have continued after Who Are You?  How could they explain to fans
and the media that they just fired their eccentric drummer that played
an important role in their sound?  (they had been talking about this
around his death)

The 1979 Who US tour was probably their last great tour in terms of
showing the energy of previous tours and willing to improvise within
songs.  To me it's their last hurrah and their true farewell.
It would've been nice if they realized after Face Dances that their
new direction wasn't working and just left it at that.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pete work with Roger or John again in the
studio (either together or seperate) as long as it's not another
Who project.  Something I'd really like to see is a Pete
Townshend/Ray Davies solo album, in the same spirit as Rough Mix,
with a tour to follow.