Re: all this bickering...

Andy Burton wrote on Oct. 27:

>To me Sell Out sums up a vision I had of this psychedelic
>London of that era - Mods and Rockers on those goofy little scooters,
>tooling around an England that never really existed except in the music
>of The Who. And now I can hear it even better and i am 16 years old again
>and my mother is still alive and the drugs hadn't turned me into a
>shattered hulk of a man who took years to rebuild his life.

I just read Mark DiIorio's message and I must say that it was the saving grace
of the entire list. THIS is why I subscribe - I want to communicate with other
people who have deep and heartfelt love for the music of the Who, as I do. It'w
the reason I sift through all the incredibly petty BULLSHIT I've been reading
from some of you who obviously have no lives. Come on, people, life is WAY too
short. The Who's music is what this is about, remember?

Andy Burton

...another party heard from, to wit:

I just took a look at this listserv -- I subscribe to the Kinks list, among
others -- and I just couldn't believe it.  Who really cares what beer Pete
Townshend drank?  He would be completely disgusted with all of you to learn how
much you obsessed about it. And who cares whether the Beatles or the Who are a
better band?  Just listen to the MUSIC.  This is as bad as hanging out with
Trekkers.  Get some lives, folks.

Sharyn November

who likes the Kinks and the Who and the Small Faces and the Beatles equally

---------------end original message-------------------------------

Andy, Sharyn:

The Who list is for people who like the Who.  It can contain commentary of about
any kind, relative to the Who.  Yeah, Pete probably doesn't give a shit if guys
on this list banter about the beer he was drinking--and I certainly don't care
about his beer--but if they want to talk about it and they don't get into petty
namecalling, etc., then it's OK.  And I fucking happen to like Star Trek.  But
neither it nor the Who dominates my life.  This is simply fun for me and I've
met some cool people.  If I don't like the beer arguments, I delete 'em.  Simple
as that.  For the record, Pete would perhaps be disgusted by this entire list
and our general "obsession" for the Who.  We are fixated on the Who's history
because it matters to us. If Pete doesn't like that, he can...well, figure it
out.  It's because of people like us that Pete can do as he pleases.  In a
sense, he worked for us, and we paid him accordingly.  I don't live for Pete's
approval.  I like Who music and I like this list.  The wide range of topics
keeps it from getting boring! So there.

--Jim