Re: Who's Next Gold Disc

On Mon, Oct 23, 1995 3:45:02 AM  at TheWho Digest wrote:

>This is not very useful information without knowing the equipment that was

>used for the comparison.  I would not be surprised if the German cd was
>mastered from an equalized tape which would explain the "crispness" that
was
>heard.
>
>Flame away,
>
>Randy

In addition, the hiss might give the impression of a brighter sound.  I've
listened to the Gold Disc on my headphone stereo set-up (Radio Shack 3400
CD player fed into a DAC-in-the-Box and Headroom headphone amp and
Sennheiser 580's) and it's got plenty of high end.  I believe that ICE
reported that the original Polydor CD was mastered from a higher generation
tape,  so I suspect that the "clearer and more distinct" instrumentation is
most likely due to the EQ rather than superior source or mastering .