Charlesworth on Beachcombers

I was the guy who recently mentioned that Keith Moon, as a member of The
Beachcombers, was the drummer on their "Mad Goose" 45, but it has been
brought to my attention that this information may be incorrect.  I couldn't
recall where I had read about this 45, so I scoured many books in an effort
to find this information.

Early in his Illustrated Biography of The Who, Chris Charlesworh wrote the
following:  "In 1963, while Keith meandered through a variety of day-time
jobs from apprentice electrician to plaster salesman for British Gypsum, The
Beachcombers joined the same pub circuit that The Who played.  They also cut
a record, an instrumental entitled 'Mad Goose' for EMI's Columbia label, but
when Keith heard on the grapevine that The Who were in search of a good young
drummer he set his heart on joining them."

My understanding is that several of you Who mailing list subscribers
communicate with Chris from time to time.  Could one of you ask him about
this?  Or is there another source who has already disproved the above
statement?

By the way, befoe I found this quote (thanks to Pam Woodward!) I came across
a number of interesting facts that I either didn't know or had largely
forgotten, and some relate directly to several recent postings.  I'll share
those within a few days...