Re: "Jones-era Who"

Gary wrote:

>I think Jones took a lot of the blame for what really did amount to a
>loss of interest on Townshend's part.  There are some songs on Empty
>Glass that would have really made Face Dances a classic album, in my
>opinion.  Likewise, a couple from Chinese Eyes, had they been included on
>It's Hard.

>People tend to forget, I think, that from 79-83, Jones was a full voting
>partner in the band (Curbishley had the fifth vote, I believe).  There are a
>LOT of boots from the tours through 79-80 that impress (for performance, if
>not for sound quality).  I've always felt a bit sorry for Jones, stepping in
>to fill Moon's shoes... an impossible task, made no easier by Townshend's
>complacency about the band and Daltrey's grief over Moon's loss.

          Daltrey always felt that if FD and IH had some of Pete's
          solo tunes on 'em they'd have been better albums. Quite
          possibly true.  If Jones was a full voting member, and he
          was, I wonder how he voted?  Did he just let Daltrey and
          Townshend rave until they came to an agreement?  I agree
          that Kenney's playing on the '79 boots I've heard was very
          good and energetic.  By '82, he was probably fed up with the
          lot of 'em, did his duty, and cashed his check.  I do blame
          Jones mostly with how boring WHO'S LAST is.  He's going
          through the motions there.  Of course, better shows could
          have been selected (the show I saw in Indy was awesome).

          --Jim