Re: chatter and Who content

Hello everybody!!!!!!!

Yes, I saw my name and RichL's question "Where is he anyhow?", and I felt it
was the right time for me to respond.

For the past month+, I've been busy here at AT&T, dealing with work issues and
also trying to find a new position within the company while still performing
in my current job. At the same time, I've been reading the posts on the
WHOlist with much interest. The posts have been great, and the subject matter
has been interesting, to say the least. A big apology to those who've sent
messages to me and were waiting for a quick reply.

And now, I'd like to address several recent WHO-related topics:

1) PT at Jones Beach (The Rolling Rock vs. Heineken debate): Throughout his
1993 solo tour, Pete was drinking, and at times quite heavily (he was quite
smashed when I saw him at the first show at Philly's Tower Theatre, two days
before the infamous Chicago show). But it definitely WAS Rolling Rock he was
drinking. And so what if we're obsessed with details? Alan McKendree was
correct in his assertion that we are on this list BECAUSE of our
interest/obsession with all things WHO. BTW, anybody out there have PT's LA
and San Diego 1993 shows on audio? I NEED them desperately.....

2) PT's guitar at the EC Rainbow gig - That guitar is a Gretsch hollow body.
It was reportedly given to Pete in 1970 by Joe Walsh as a gift. Pete in turn
made the Gretsch his signature guitar for much of his 70's and 80's studio
work. I saw the guitar up front when I had a walk-thru tour of Eel Pie Studios
in April 1992, and I almost wet myself. Coincidentally I was at Sam Ash Music
Store on Monday 10/9 in Edison, NJ and while I was waiting for a salesperson
to help with my bass amp repair, I strummed a Gretsch that was the exact
version that Pete has. The tone was spectacular, and I found the heart of the
sound that Pete got out of it: the Gretsch tremolo bar! What a perfect
instrument!!! (Jeff Williams, any comments??) For those of you who wish to see
Pete in action with his Gretsch, check out the "Give Blood" segment of the
White City video movie.

3) Congratulations to Mike Mishura on his new baby!!! Hope you and yours are
doing fine.

4) With all this talk of WHO buttons, posters, etc., I'm going home today and
getting all my WHO buttons out. I know I've definitely got some, if not
most, of the items mentioned by some of you. I'll send my own post with my
list.

5) John Shipala - Please contact me re: Lifehouse Live and Essen '81. Maybe we
can work out a trade.

6) Cathy Ridley - I should be receiving my WHO convention stuff from my friend
Margaret in Howard Beach, NY. She went to the con in the UK and did get our
stuff, including your shirt. I should have the pkg by end of next week; I'll
send your shirt out as soon as I receive it. Thanks!!!

7) The WHO Convention/proposed fan club - I'm very sorry I couldn't go to the
WHO Convention, but low funds, a 5/96 wedding, and my own musical gigs made it
impossible for me. Thanks to those who attended the Con and shared their good
times with those of us not fortunate enough to attend. Anybody out there have
a tape of Roger and John's P.M. performance? Please contact me ASAP..... And
if there is to be a new WHO Fan Club, why not have the WHOlist group oversee/
edit/ publish the whole thing? We're probably the most eager people. I'd be
happy to discuss the matter with anybody/everybody. I think it's high time
there was another WHO fanzine. It beats waiting for the next issue of Relay to
come out. In fact, I'd like to spearhead a WHO 'zine of our own, "our" meaning
the people on this list. C'mon people, let's talk.....

8) If anyone cares at this point, the PT Greatest Hits CD has been shelved
"indefinitely", per Beverly Furman at Atlantic Records, NYC.

9) While I'm currently waiting for my copy of "The WHO in Sweden", I did
manage to get two new UK WHO books:

A)"Teenage Wasteland: The Early Who" by Chris Welch. SYNOPSIS: Follows WHO
history to the present day, but text is average to poor. Welch must have had
mental simpletons in mind when he wrote the book. And while there were some
shots I'd never seen before, the picutres have a grainy look to them, as if
the source material was subpar. And, to my recollection, all pics are in black
& white.

B) "A Quick Sell Out"- SYNOPSIS: Mainly a picture book, with the Who's TV
Appearance and Concert Tour Schedule for the years 1965-1966. A nice mix of
color and B&W pics, newspaper articles, etc.. But the text is very limited,
and the author make the laughable claim that this book is the "most thorough
document" of the WHO's activities for those two years.

SUMMARY: Both books are worth owning for the pics, but they are by NO means
"definitive" WHO books.

10) Jared Houser - please contact me re: tapes. Thanks!!!!

11) Mason Weinrich asked about the new WHO bootleg CD "Pure Rock Theatre". I
just picked it up, and I'm really pleased with it. The set list is the same as
"Live AtLeeds", except with the addition of "Tommy's Holiday Camp", "We're Not
Gonna Take It", "See Me, Feel Me", and the deletion of "My Generation" (even
though MG is listed on the outside credits as appearing on the disc. Recorded
during the Autumn 1969 US tour, and in the UK Jan. 1970, the sound is
wonderful. Obviously someone's been sitting on this soundboard recording for a
long time!!! The only drawback: "Substitute", "Happy Jack", and "I'm a Boy"
are all from "Live At Leeds". Otherwise, all performances are unreleased.
Worth every penny!!!!!

12) Jeff Winterich - Please call me re: trade. Now that the honeymoon is over,
let's get back to trading!!!!! And BTW---"Goin' Mobile" was never performed
live by the WHO.

13) Joel Naftelberg---I'm interested in the Tommy party footage...please
contact me ASAP. Thanks!!!!

14) WFang01---please get in touch with me. You are quite a character and since
you live in NJ, maybe we live closeby. I'd like to compare notes, collections,
etc.. And BTW---you don't like McCartney solo? Man, I've gotta straighten YOU

15) Gary Maiullo---Love ya, brother!!!!!! SHOOOOOOSH!! WAY Downtown!!!!!!!!

Thanks, everybody, for listening, and I can't wait til 11/7, when we get to
experience the revamped, remastered Who's Next!!!!

Peace,

Marty Secero

"The more we learn, the less we believe to be true" - The WHO, "Faith In
Something Bigger"