Re: Gold Who's Next

Joe, re:

>The gold version of Who's Next is, IMHO, a great improvement over the MCA
version (that's not saying much), much clearer and warmer sounding.  With all
the problems locating the original  masters, I was not expecting much but I'm
very happy with it.

>From what I was told, the "changes" in mix are going to be minor, I guess
we'll see soon enough. As for the MCA version. I have to defend MCA on this
one, they must have revised "Who's Next" about 3 times. I remember when it
came out and it had a "motorboating" sound in the background---it sounded
BAD. The next generation was about equal to the Polydor---not bad sounding,
but still some hiss. Then, the last version actually sounded very good--not
as good as the gold, but very good. Polydor never updated their's. You can
tell by the inferior, hissy tapes on the box set...

As for the album itself, great songs, although I'm kinda tired of "those"
versions after listening to them for 15 years+. After listening to "Baba
O'Riley" from "The Kids Are Alright", how can you listen to the song with a
"piano" beginning? I also prefer the "Won't Get Fooled Again" from "TKAA" and
"My Wife" from "Two's Missing". I never liked "The Song Is Over" or "Getting
In Tune", although I do like the latter on "From Lifehouse To Leeds"...
Speaking of which, "Baby Don't You Do It", which will be included on the new
"Who's Next", is being edited down to about 5 minutes or so... That's a
shame, since in my opinion, it's one of the best Who studio recordings...

Oh well...

WF <~