Re: Gold Who's Next

Randy Davis wrote:

>I bought the gold Who's Next for one main reason.  It is probably the last
>time we will be able to hear the original mix since the new version will have
>4 or 5 (can't remember) remixed tracks.  I love the remastered versions, but
>this album is so near and dear to me that I wanted the original in best ever
>quality.  If anyone else is a nutcase like me, I suggest that you run and get
>it before it's gone.

Could not agree more!  I have no doubt that Astley will make a great
sounding album, but will he be faithful to the original?  Everyone on this
list I'm sure knows every last sound on the album by heart, and will be
able to pick out any changes made while the thing is reassembled by
Astley's Magic Hard Drive.  The gold version of Who's Next is, IMHO, a
great improvement over the MCA version (that's not saying much), much
clearer and warmer sounding.  With all the problems locating the original
masters, I was not expecting much but I'm very happy with it.  But then, I
got it for $12 so your mileage may vary. :)

Joe Grimes  ***   jgg@iac.net   ***   Cincinnati, Ohio
The music we play must be tomorrow's, the things we say have to be today's
and the reason for bothering is yesterday  -  Pete Townshend, '70-'71