Re: Dukes of Stratosphear

>> The Who made it so that any form was acceptable;
>
>I don't know if I would "word" it that way;  I think I would just say that
>the Who got there first!  With the advent of the Who, "heavier" RnR became
>more acceptable, so I guess in essence I agree with you.  And, of course,
>as you indicated, PR plowed down even more musical roads.

Gary:

The thing for me is that music was stuck in the same groove until MY GEN.
Heavy or not, the barrier was broken by the trashing of the song structure.
I would say that until that point The Animals were the best thing going. No
originality, of course, but they played the Blues perfectly. I was a bigger
Animals fan than Stones...until Eric Burdon decided to go off on a tangent.
Psychedelic Rock wasn't for everybody...have you heard his version of Paint
It Black? Someone should have given him a nudge, you know. "Psst. Eric..."
And Brian Jones had a bigger influence on The Stones just then, too...they
were into a very fertile period...although they had a few clunkers, too
(Please Go Home, Why Don't We Sing This Song All Together, Have You Seen
Your Mother...).
But we can only speculate about what might have happened if not for The Who.
Would RnR lasted this long? Or even The Beatles?

>>(can you tell I've just finished watching the Beatles Anthologies?).
>
>Yeah, you and 99.9 % of the planet!  By the way, did you also want to,
>maybe, punch Paul McCartney in the face for his obnoxious and obviously
>pompous comments, not to mention some of his stupid ones. (Like the
>example I posted to Jeff Williams a few days ago, about the Ukelele...)
>And George was extremely vague and had very little to say... I don't
>know, maybe I'm being to hard on them ..........   NAHHH!

Well, I stopped being a McCartney fan with Mary Had A Little Lamb. I was
more into Harrison than even Lennon. But, yeah...I have little good to say
about Paulie. "Long hair/At Madison Square..." Give me a freakin' break! In
fact, the only solo album he's released in the last 20 years that I've even
liked a little is UNPLUGGED. But that is a good one, I must admit.
Harrison continued to make (at least) decent music until GONE TROPPO
(yesh!). And his latest ones are pretty good, too. Even John fell off the
wagon for a while...or need I mention SOMETIME IN NYC? At least Zappa is on
part of that one...and even then...

>Absolutely!  Ya know, even if Talmy never gives up the Master tapes to
>My Generation, MCA DID release it on CD, and I love it... it sounds rough,
>but "I Don't Mind"  (sorry, that pun just fell out).  Really now, what's
>this guy's problem...?  Screw him!

I love the roughness of the current MY GEN...it seems only the way it should
be. I'm afraid that the stereo masters will reduce it to being tame and a
bit ordinary sounding. Like the version on Max BBC, which doesn't have a
tenth of the power of the original. For me, MG is only studio album that
sounds like they did live. Or as close as we are ever likely to get. Still,
I hope for the best.

              Cheers               ML