covers comments

At 3:45 11/25/95, The Who Mailing List wrote:
>From: Psrox@aol.com
>Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 22:51:54 -0500
>Subject: Talkin' bout covers

This reminds me of the Whole Canonical Who Cover chart I've been promising
for months now and have yet to deliver.  Well, first this message:

>1)  Freddy Fender did "Squeeze Box"
>2)  I have the 45 of Shaun Cassidy's "So Sad About Us"

Both of these were listed (Thanks to Laura Plummer)

>3)  The Litter (60's psych band) covering "Legal Matter" and "Substitute"

Added these

>4)  Tommy Keene does a WONDERFUL cover of "Tattoo" --

Added.

>5)  I have the Beatles bootleg "Watching Rainbows" which contains a snippet
>of John and Yoko doing "A Quick One" -------

I'm skeptical of adding stuff lke this into the chart.  I might make an
exception for John & Yoko, but in general I don't want to get into listing
every artist who ever put a phrase of a Who song in something they did.

>6)  Nirvana were known to cover "Baba O'Riley" in concert.

When I originally started the chart, I was skeptical about including covers
that weren't either officially recorded or available on cited boot albums,
broadcast videos, etc.  The value, for me, was to cite not only who did
these covers, but where I (or anyone) could obtain them if they wanted to.
Just hearing someone say "I saw Band X do 'Magic Bus'" doesn't sound very
exciting to me.  But the readership sounded more interested in hearing
reports like this, and I assume that most Nirvana shows were booted in some
form, so I've added it.  Just, please, out of consideration for your poor
ol' Uncle Alan's sensibilities, let's try to limit these, OK?  Fine.  And
if anyone can cite where this is available in recorded form please report.

>7)  Joan Jett covered "Call Me Lightning"

Had it.

My next posting (get ready) will be the covers chart, the whole enchilada.
I charted the name of the song, artist, album on which it appears if known,
and e-mail address of person first reporting the cover to me, so you can
contact them for more info.  Hopefully, eventually, this chart will make
its way onto http://www.eden.com/~thewho, but for now thewho@mpath.com has
the exclusive.  I don't have time to do much with the formatting, so it may
be ugly, but there ya go.

Alan

"When I'm onstage...it's not like bein' possessed, it's just --
*I* *do* *my* *job*."  -- Pete Townshend