Re: covers in general

>We are basically saying the same things only from opposite ends.  My
>belief is that the sound of the album wasn't coming from Ray and
>that Shel took his songs and made them spacey to fit the top albums
>of the period (IE Production).  Unlike Townshend, Lennon/McCartney,
>Jagger/Richards, and Wilson, Ray never wrote his songs inspired from
>LSD or any other psychadelic drug. When I hear SE I cut through the p
>roduction and hear the song as it is.  With the other artists, the
>songs themselves are on a different level of thought.  I'll give you
>that it does SOUND "acid based" but the songs aren't "acid oriented".

Ian:
Ah, but Talmy didn't produce much of SOMETHING ELSE...he was out early on.
Davies was the one who produced the songs that way...or at the least didn't
change them when he had every chance to, if he wanted to.
I listen to music on many levels...one of which is the actual atmosphere the
song is going for. Ray may not have done acid (hard to believe, though), but
he was certainly aware of this trend and surely wrote the music with this in
mind. Dave, too...Funny Face, for instance ("I see you/staring through
frosted windows..."). I would also have to say that if indeed Ray did acid,
it is inevitable that he was affected by it. Even if he didn't realize it.
The drug tends to do that...it changes your perspective forever. Waterloo
Sunset, which I know he produced, certainly reeks of acid influence. The way
he sings: "Every day I look at the world through my window/Chilly chilly in
the evening time/Waterloo sunset's fine..." and the harmony that follows,
for instance.
Talmy, given his track record with The Who and other Kinks albums, probably
wasn't even aware of the existence of acid. Surely, had he ever done it, he
would have turned over the tapes of MY GENERATION long ago...
             Cheers                  ML