Re: The Who Digest Vol 2 Num 308

At 3:45 11/23/95, The Who Mailing List wrote:
>Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 14:55:13 -0500
>From: at034@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Jonathan R. Ehret)
>Subject: Allsorts
>believe the Smithereens' guitarist, Jim Babjak, is a veritable
>Who disciple. Their live version of "The Seeker," their last
>song of a 3-encore show, brought the place to its knees.

I like to tell the story (and so I will) about going to see the Smithereens
at an all-day July 4th fest a couple of years ago; I got there about 4:00,
in time to see their set.  Most of the audience were lying around drunk
and/or sunburned, mildly stupefied after a day of baking themselves and
listening to high-decibel music.  The Smithereens set was pretty good; I'd
never heard them play before and I enjoyed their hits.  But when they
started "The Seeker" in their encore it was like I'd arrived at a whole
different show (in my mind, anyway).  I started yelling frantically and
stood on the highest object available (a 6" - high piece of PVC), and tried
to outscream the speakers through most of the song.  Most people didn't
seem to understand what I was "goin' on about."  :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to all you U.S. readers; happy...um...Thursday to all
the non-U.S. folks.

Alan

"When I'm onstage...it's not like bein' possessed, it's just --
*I* *do* *my* *job*."  -- Pete Townshend