it is jew's harp

what you describe below is a Jew's harp.  in some american and english
vernacular dialects it has transformed into "jaw harp" due to
sensitivities about the use of the term "Jew."  so, while both terms are
in current use, its origin is "Jew's harp."  go look it up (there must be
an OED online somewhere - anyone?).  maybe this recurring discussion
should be on a faq devoted to arguments that always come up and are
constantly disputed in spite of the fact that if you open a book (remember
those), the info is readily available.

arthur