Re: Join Together

On Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Justin M. Cober wrote:

> I was going through a Who discography looking for a good album with Join
> Together on it.  Does anyone have any strong opinions on Who Singles?

Although it's not a bad album, it's certainly not worth buying just for
JT.  You're better off buying Polydor's 2-Volume (but 1-disc) Rarities
release; it contains what I consider to be some of the Who's finest
music.  But make sure you don't get ripped off--I've seen it for prices
ranging from $15 to $27.  No sense to spend in the high range.  Check out
a huge Tower Records, they should have it.

> Another related question:
> 	Someone mentioned they thought the Who held this song back to
> release as a single.  Was this just to make more money (which you can't
> blame anyone for that, really).  I always thought the Who, especially PT,
> tried to move away from singles.  Didn't albums like The Who Sellout and
> Tommy lead the way for bands to go to albums over singles?

I think it was actually the fact that Who singles never fared very well
that made PT more and more cynical about singles.  The lack of sales for
I Can See for Miles was especially discouraging for him, at least
according to CC.