Re: Ending of Quad (film) --> Meaning?

On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, Mark Leaman wrote:

> Well, that's the movie. On the album, Jim is intelligent but restricted by
> his quadrophonic nature. In the end, he considers the events...and,
> according to the liner notes, he realizes that he has four personalities.
> And therefore is one step closer to being cured. But there is no throwing
> out of the lifestyle, nor regret...just realization. One can see why that
> might be too weak an ending for the film.
I agree with most of what has been said, but I take issue with the fact
that there is only realization.  I think there is more, I think there is
a "cure"  (I'm not sure I like that word).  I think the proof can be
heard in the music.  Right before Love reign... we have the rock which is
all the four themes weaving in an out in sort of a confused but rythmic
way.  Finally, right before love reign... they blend together and bocome
one song, and evolve into just a piano (no chords much, mostly single
notes) and some rain.  Then Love reign...  I think this is Jimmy finally
pulling all four sides together to be one.  That one is a blend of the
four and the piano shows the solidification and unity of them.  It also
shows that just Jimmy, the real Jimmy, (or perhaps I should say the whole
Jimmy) is left.  And then we come to Love reign... which is his
confirmation and acceptance of this resolution.  It is his happiness to
finally be whole, and at the same time part of everything, or as
Townshend (refering to Meher Baba) would probably say part of the universal
love that controls everything. And that is the love he wants and finally
feels in himself at the end.
Well enough of my theories.  I'll let more people in.

Laura Plummer				* "We are all the same:  the men of
Graduate School of Lib and Info Sci	*  anger, and the women of the
University of Texas at Austin		*  page."
liquid@gslis.utexas.edu			*         --Indigo Girls