Re: Ending of Quad (film) --> Meaning?; Horse's Neck

Hi Ian:

I own a copy of Quadrophenia VHS and used to wonder
about the ending in high school (I'm 26 now).
But if you read Marsh's "Before I Get Old" (a must
for any diehard Who fan), Townshend talks
about Quad and it's meaning.

The album, and the film, are two big flashbacks.
The movie makes this especially clear:
Watch the beginning with Jimmy turning around
and walking toward the camera. I believe this
is right after the ending when he drives
the scooter over the edge. "When I became a man I put
aside childish things...." etc. etc.

Funny you bring this up because it seems the two
Who rock opera  films, "Tommy" and "Quad" come full circle.

I recently picked up "Horse's Neck...haven't finished it yet.
Anyone care to share their opinions?

-B

>Since you never see Jimmy (or a dummy in the movie) falling with the bike
>I always felt that he did decide to jump off at the last second.
>However I know many feel that he did take the plunge after certain events
>drove him to the edge.  Seeing someone fall to their grotesque
>finality is just useless to prove the point (as the ones who believe
>that he did die).
>
>According to the album, it doesn't seem that Jimmy took his life;
>especially with "Love..." being the last song.
>

>So, which is it??

                                        Brendon Macaraeg
                      http://www.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu/~brendonm
             "Paranoia is often an extreme hightened awareness"