Re: Who In Cincinnati

>While I feel that the Who were not the CAUSE of the tragedy, let's face it,
>they could have contributed to its prevention by simply insisting on reserve
>seating.  Pete may like festival seating, but I think it's a social failure.
> A band like the Who could have in 1979 demanded and gotten the promoter to
>guarantee reserve seating.  And then, the Who had festival seating at some
>shows in 1982.  Jesus, didn't they learn a damn thing?  I mean, Pete may
>"just do my job" onstage, but taking some responsibility when you have real
>control would be nice.

Jim:
As a former roadie of a major band, I can tell you that a band doesn't have
any idea about the venue before a show 99% of the time...and little to no
control over these sort of situations. It's true, if the band had insisted
on reserve seating, they might have gotten it. The chances are they didn't
even think about it. Of course, they had no idea about what would
happen...who would? And I like festival seating myself. I think the problem
had more to do with the way the people were let into the arena (from what
I've heard, `cause I've never been there).
So I can find no blame on the part of the band...in that particular
incident. Of the fact that they didn't start demanding reserved seating from
that point on, you can draw your own conclusions.
  Cheers                           ML