The Who Digest

Here's some more annoying firsts.  If you don't care, I understand, but I do
reccomend that you read the first section if you want to hear a good story
about how The Who still have one hell of an edge that can almost frighten
people.

First Who Exposure:  Last summer (1994) I worked in a music store and at the
time everyone was getting excited about the "30YoMR&B" release and
everything.  We had an in-store demo CD.  I had seen some old clips of
Shindig and some other old Who stuff on VH-1 (the only thing that station
has done for me and why I can't hate it) and really liked it.  At the time I
was heavily into The Beatles.  But that didn't last too long after I heard
The Who.  I used to play our demo at work very loud because I enjoyed the
music and I enjoyed the fact that it really irritated the assistant manager
who was a total asshole, not to mention a raging faggot who (true story)
would dress in leather chaps and wear some really strange shit.  I'm not
kidding.  He was rude to the customers and had the largest chip on his
shoulder I've ever seen.  He always used to play crappy wimpy music.  I
hated him, and it made my day to blast The Who and watch him cringe as the
first notes of "My Generation" crashed through the store.  Now I'm in
college and when some asshole down the hall starts playing his rap or
hip-hop shit a little too loud I give 'em a a good dose of real music.  The
first chords of "I Can't Explain" signal the end for bad music where I live.
Long live The Who!

First Concert:  Procol Harum and Jethro Tull at the World Music Theater in
Tinley Park, IL in the summer of 1992 or '91.  I don't remember.  I went
with my dad, and  I do remember that it was a great show.  I'm damn proud to
say that that was my first concert.

First Who Concert:  Because I'm only 18 and I wasn't into The Who until last
year, I'm still a Who virgin.  The closest I've come is seeing John
Entwistle in concert with Ringo Starr et. al. this summer.  If this tour
thing is more than just a rumour, I'll sell my soul for a ticket.  Faust
should've asked for more.

First Album:  A Richard Wagner collection performed by the London Symphony
Orchestra.

Last Album Purchased:  "How Does it Feel" by The Creation and "The Ultimate
Action!" by The Action.  If you're a mod or just like mod music, I highly
reccomend you check them out.

                        LONG LIVE THE WHO!

                                Ed B.