Poll

>what was your first album purchase?

My mom bought Tommy for me in 1970.  I think the first one I actually paid
for was "A Question Of Balance" by the Moody Blues.

>what was your first exposure to the who?

My best friend's older brother owned Tommy, and we listened to it a lot
at his house in 69 and 70, before I got my own copy.

>what was your first concert?

Deep Purple, with Leslie West and Nazereth as opening acts, in the fall of
1975.  Deep Purple was on its last legs by then, and had (I think now
deceased) Tommy Bolin on guitar.

I saw The Who the following summer in Miami Fla., in a concert reviewed by
Rolling Stone.  Moon made it through the show, but spent a couple of days
in the hospital afterwards.  Townshend never said a word to the audience
the entire show.  There was no encore.  It was still the most amazing thing
I had ever witnessed up to that time.  They played 4 or 5 songs from Tommy
straight through, ending with a laser show during the final "See Me, Feel
Me".  The energy level wasn't what I have seen from video of shows in
earlier years, but they still had moments when they were truly scary on
stage.

I only saw them one other time, at the fateful Cincinnati show in 79.  That
was a very different experience.

Dave Elliott