Poll

Hello Who fans,

usually I just admire your amazing knowledge about the greatest-ever band in
dumb silence, knowing that I could not contribute much - at most some of my very
own impressions.  But this time I feel provoked to post my own thoughts:

> Michael asks:
>      >what was your first album purchase?

I began rather late to collect records.  First one was `Toto IV' when I was 18,
in early 1988.

>      >what was your first exposure to the who?

The fifth record I bought was `Who Are You' - I picked it up because the song
WAY had had heavy airplay over all the years since 1978 - in fact the only Who
song I knew from German radio stations.  I liked that record very much,
especially Roger's aggressive voice on `New Song', the bass on `Had Enough',
and the whole instrumentation of `WAY'.

Anyway, this still was not enough to become a real Who fan.  I kept on buying
records from various rock groups without becoming too much involved into any of
them.  Things changed when I picked up `ATBCH Chinese Eyes' in spring 1994.  My
wife immediately got obsessed with `Face Dances Part II', then with the whole
record, then with Pete, and eventually with the Who.  The next few weeks she
bought everything Who-related she could get her fingers on.

The moment when I became a Who fan was when listening to `Who's Next' for the
first time:  I wish I could repeat this experience!  The power of `Baba O'Riley'
struck me completely unprepared, and during the first chords of `Bargain' I
already knew:  This was the only band worth living and dying for :-).

>      >what was your first concert?

The first one was Toto on their `Seventh One' tour: very good instrumentalists,
but boring performance.  (To say at least something Who/Pete-related about them:
Jeff Porcaro was a great drummer, but Simon Phillips - who plays drums on their
recent album - is still way better!)

My first real concert will be Roger, John, and the others in three weeks.
That's what I am living for since it was announced three months ago :-).

Bernd (account name *ORiley* on Internet Go Servers :-) )