Re: Are we musical snobs? God knows I am...

Becuase all my new musical tastes come from viewing Beavis and Butthead.
(Seriously folks a few bands on their stuff are pretty good as far as
the average go....

Personally I don't care if music in general ever evolves.
If I can get my fix of a few killer songs from new bands every month or so,
I am a happy camper. So far I have been fulfilled for about a solid year.
This hasn't happened to me since '77. STP, Green Day, Offspring, Portishead,
Verucca Salt, Hole, Bush, Rancid, Belly, Letters to Cleo, Wheezer, the Muffs
(Muffs?), Matthew Sweet, Urge Overkill have all thrown out a few cool singles
that were better than anything I heard from about '79 to about '91.  If
there is some other bands that fill in this 12 year gap, I'd love to hear
about them.

Still, when I see bands evolve INTERNALLY, it is an exciting
progress.  The coolest feeling in the whole wide world is to get an album
from a band that already put out a great one, and to have two reactions:
1) This doesn't sound ANYTHING like the last one! and 2) This is GREAT on
first listen!.  All Zep albums did that to me, and all Who albums up to and
including Quadrophenia did that to me. The Jam did that. For a few albums.
>From In The City to This is The Modern World to All Mod Cons to Setting Sons.
Weller pulled himself out of the Who mold or moniker before Townshend could.
The Beatles sure did from Revolver through White Album,
(before stabilizing their style for a whopping year and some change!!!!)

So I think the whole story of rock music evolution is way way way far
from over.  It took a hit in the 80s with all the b*tt j*cking synthesizer/
Eurorock and Rap taking such precedence, and then kinda reformed and started
over in real ways that some in the right honorable group may or may not
appreciate fully.  Hell, my tastes have basically always been the same
since I was 8 or so (my emotional age now) and I love what has been coming
out lately.

Concerning our beloved recent flamer, Hey, I have also criticised the Who
sometimes heavily and the same for
PT but also praise them all heavily.  I am not unconditionally in love with all
the music.  Just about 3/4 of it.  The rest I really can't stand.  But
that's o.k. too.  This newsgroup have people who,when prodded, have some
genuinely astute observations and opinions, and this is place is a GOLDMINE
for info on boots and trivia on the Who.

JW

JW.