Re:Who By Numbers: Happy? Skippy?

Ian says:
>This is probably why you hear every Led Zeppelin song ever released
>on the radio (I swear my local AOR station plays Zeppelin twice a
>day, aside from it's daily 7PM block (four songs)) and only 10
>(that's a stretch) Who songs.  Not that Zeppelin is inferior, but
>people don't look at Physical Graffiti as deeply as one would look
>at Quadrophenia.  Thought provoking music and commercial radio don't
>mix, unless you're lucky to have a station that plays more obscure
>music in a certain time slot.

Two words: Guitar solos.

Seriously, the problem with comparing Physical Graffiti to Quadrophenia is
that Quad has a storyline which does not come across when individual songs
are played between commercials.  A listener who has no intention of buying
the album is not going to know what to make of a song like "Bell Boy."
Graffiti has no theme.  It has a variety of material which lends itself to
radio play.  I know, Ian,  we've been through this before. :)

I don't know why it matters that Classic Rock ® stations don't play enough
Who songs.  It's not important to me if the Who is not as popular as
Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.  And as far as radio not playing thought provoking
music, I'd say that the Lifehouse storyline behind Who's Next, while
dilluted, is pretty challenging.  But most people don't care about that,
they just know the two Classics that bookend the album.  They're not going
to take the time to analyze the lyrics.  BTW, I don't see much discussion
here on Who's Next.  Maybe it's too popular? :)

I stay away from Classic Rock ® stations in general, because I don't like
to hear the same songs played to death, and I also believe there has been
some good music made in the last ten years.

I think what you mean is that it's frustrating that more people don't
appreciate the Who's music.  If they don't, that's fine.  It wouldn't make
me feel any better if stations were flooded with requests for "However Much
I Booze".
Let them have the disposable stuff.

Joe

TRIVIA QUESTION:
PT produced Thunderclap Newman's "Hollywood Dream" album.
He also played bass.  What pseudonym did he use for his bass credit?

No prizes....yet.