Re: doing unplugged

> > >  Still, Slip Kid and Squeeze Box pale to Quad.

Squeeze Box, yes. Slip Kid? No way.

> It's just that compared to Quadrophenia it was kinda a happy, skippy album, and I was after deeper darker shit.

"Goodbye all you punks stay young and stay high
Just hand me my checkbook, while I crawl off to die
Like a woman in childbirth, grown ugly in a flash
I see magic and pain, now I'm recycling trash"
---They're All In Love

A better example would be all the lyrics to "However Much I Booze"

Yes, a very happy skippy album indeed.  (please note the sarcasm)

The difference with Quad is that Pete was putting the angst of
adolescence into a character named Jimmy.  Though it's dark, it
comes from Pete's imagination, therefore it's not as striking.
Who By Numbers is as real as it gets.  I should be judged side
by side with "Empty Glass" as midlife crisis #1 vs midlife crisis #2.
Roy Carr, who wrote for a british music paper (Melody Maker?) and
whois also a well respected rock critic called WBN "Pete Townshend's
suicide note".  I think that says it all.

Someone on the Neil Young mailing list wanted to know an album that
showed the same gut pouring qualities of "Tonights the Night"....Who
By Numbers is it!

Just listen to John's Success Story.  Even that is cyncism at it's
finest.