Re: doing unplugged

Ian, good analysis.  My we're getting somewhere.  I've been able to dig into your brain in a more significant way
than I see most postings.  I will reserve the Carl Palmer judgement then.  I will look into it more.  I did
like some of his stuff, actually.  Hmmmm...  WHo By Numbers I did take a listen to without knowing what I
was listening to and actually liked it.  I gave it only a listen way back then and was so disappointed, but
then 19 years later heard it and liked it.  Still, Slip Kid and Squeeze Box pale to Quad.  Again, on the Moon
stuff I just think they all needed a rest from the drugs. I'm sure it was never to be, though... I still
think Pete should've widened his search for drummers if only to relieve himself from the boredom of playing with
boring drummers.

O.K. I harped on the drummers to death.  It's kinda like the color red.  Once you see it you realize what it
is and never need to be trifled with all the rest.

As far as the MTV unplugged goes, it is pretty much the only game in town for the wide audience, so analysis
paralysis ain't gonna make it any less of a thing than what it is..... I still think a properly miked guitar
would raise the level of the stuff several points.

As far as Zep, compared to Live Aid, the Atlantic anniversary, and the recent R&R hall of fame, anything
prepared will sound better.  And since the UnLedded was prepared, it sounded better.  I really like Gallows
Pole.  And wonder of wonders!  The drummer and bass player were DAMNED good.  If there was to be no Bonham
and Jones, they did a bang up job finding replacements.  Hell that drummer coulda done a better job for the
Who than the last two guys....

If Townshend never does the Who live again, that's O.K. I've got all that footage from '69 to convince me
that they were the greatest live band that got famous.  Not the greatest live band, just the greatest live
band that got famous.  The Wipers from Portland in their original lineup with Sam Henry on Drums (I mentioned
him), Greg Sage on Guitar/vocals, and Dave Koupal on Bass was the greatest.  Vintage '69 Who came a close
second.  They both shared this wierd dynamic that is like a really good year of wine.  It just all comes
together.

Jeff