Quality of CD Club CD's

On Fri, Mar 24, 1995 3:45:04 AM TheWho Digest wrote:

>> Isn't those music clubs supposed to have CD's of lesser sound quality so
they
>> can sell them more cheaply?  At least that's what I have heard.  If
that's
>> the case I would rather get the Cd from a music store and get the better

>> quality sound.  Is there any truth to this in terms of sound quality?

The conspiracy theorist side of me suspects that this was a rumor started
by the major record store chains.  Both Sony and BMG are able to run these
clubs because they have their own pressing plants.  That--not inferior
sound quality--is what allows them to offer discs more cheaply.  Moreover,
the discs aren't necessarily that much cheaper.  If you play your cards
right, you may be able to get the average price down to around $6.99 before
postage, which is still well above the cost of the discs to the
manufacturer.