The Who and the Beatles

> I also was a big Beatles fan before getting into the Who.  As the
> years have gone by, though, it's the Who tunes that retain the most
> meaning, and I see Lennon-McCartney songs as more and more
> mass-produced for marketing reasons only.  Plus there's the fact that
> the later Beatles stuff, while occasionally epiphanic, really shows
> its drug-culture roots, and even if Townshend dabbled for a while in
> pot, his songs are IMHO much deeper, on average.

IMHO the two greatest rock geniuses are Pete Townshend and Paul
McCartney.  McCartney has this knack for writing songs that are so
natural.  Just listen to his pre Band on the Run solo albums.  Yes,
the ones that was panned by critics.  IMHO they are far superior to
Band On the Run...getting off the subject here.

> And I'll give you "Sell Out" over "Sgt. Pepper's" for the concept
> album of 1967.

That's really a hard for me.  I love both, but Pepper still grabs me
today as very fresh.  Sell Out is VERY underrated though and should
be placed at or near the level or Pepper.