PT's song selection at DSTSun Dec 7 12:26:38 PST 1997

Sorry to miss the boat a little on this discussion but I
thought I'd add my two bits late, anyway.

I'm sure many/most of you know Pete's story behind
Who Are You," but I'm going to add what he said to
introduce the song at his 8/3/93 Berkeley show in addition
to what you may or may not already know (It was news to me).
---------
PT:
"This song is obviously about something that happened to me...
some of you may know the story and some of you may not know
the story so I'll just briefly give you the story.
I was ahh...at a meeting in--in--with a guy called Allen Klein(?-JP)
who's a big music publisher who's got his claws into the Rolling
Stones, the Beattles, and me to some extent and ahh, I spent about
thirteen hours at this meeting and I walked out with him owning
quite a lot of my music...ahh...I don't know quite how, but we kind
of lost some battles and ahh and I went to a night club with my
manager Chris Stamp and we met the Sex Pistols and I said to them--
for the first time (met them--JP)--and I said to them, after punching
a few people around I said--'cuz I was pretty angry by this time, I
said ahh 'You know, you can fucking have it. If you fucking want
it, you can fucking have it. It's shit.' And ahh that's the way I
felt at the time and so the song is partly about you know 'who the
hell are you to come along and take this away."
-----------
[and PT goes on to say that the song is also partly about "Who"
being an alternate name for God and the song is a seeking song
asking just who God is--"I really need to know."]

So is it fair to substitute Roger for the Sex Pistols in the above
story to imply that PT was saying (to Roger) "Who the hell are you
to come and take my music away?" Or is that going way too far?

__Jon

P.S. As an interesting side-note to Lou Reed and his performance in
DST, Pete mentions in his introduction to "Save it for Later" that
Lou Reed was credited with the tuning PT learned from the English Beat
and uses for that song. On Reed, PT says (paraphrased) Lou Reed
can't play, he just invents things....wonderful things.

     Jonathan Proulx
 jlproulx@mailbox.syr.edu

LaL#001244