CDs vs. LPs

<<When these systems get ahold of the precision of a CD (more importantly,

one that was _recorded_ digitally),  it's no wonder that the sound seems to

lack something.>>

I agree with you for the most part.  The CD vs. LPs debate is  completely
irrelevant for the vast majority of people who lack the equipment that will
push the limits of either format.  That said, I think that far too many CDs
have been poorly mastered or mastered from inferior source tapes.  Many
record labels have conceded as much by belatedly upgrading various
artists's catalogs (including, finally, the Who).  I also believe that
audiophile LPs can certainly rival, and perhaps even surpass CDs in terms
of sound quality.  But  you have to sacrifice a lot (both in terms of $$$,
convenience, and durability) in order to get even that marginal
improvement.  As for me, I'll stick with my CDs.