CD's vs LP's (here we go!)

I know this argument has been talked about on other groups but I
still find it interesting how opinionated this discussion becomes.

The reason I bring it up is that Scott James and I had a minor
disagreement over the issue.  I told him that given the proper
treatment any CD can sound as good as the original LP or better.
(Leeds being an example).  His response was that the sampling rates
are much too low for this to ever happen.  My counter response was
that you can't get around the physical limitations of an LP with the
tighter grooves near the end of a LP side (the sound becomes
distorted).  Of course Im sure buying a very expensive turntable would
help this problem but personally I'd rather buy a nice tube amp.

What do you think?  Using Leeds as an example, do you find it to
have a warm or cold sound?  The biggest knock against CD's is that
they never give a warm ambience.  I disagree.  For example I just
bought Dizzy Gillespie's RCA Collection and there is NO comparison
to the LP and the CD.  Not only can you hear instruments never heard
before but it does achieve that "warm feeling".  BTW these are
recordings made between 1945-1949.