Documentary: The History of Rock N Roll

Greetings fellow Who-sters,

I just found out about the group and thought that I'd introduce
myself and share some Who-ness.  I first saw the Who in 1967 <guess
that sort of dates me>.  Also, having been a guitarist for 30 years,
I would have to count Pete as one of my main influences.  That day
in the early 70s that I nailed Amazing Journey/Sparks note-for-note,
I knew that I was well on the way to becoming a serious guitarist and
was firmly entrenched as a Who-head.  Having worn the grooves through
on my original vinyl copy of Live at Leeds, I'm having a second
Who childhood listening to the new CD release and playing along.

The New York and Philadelphia independent TV stations have been running
"The History of Rock N Roll" <a 10 hour documentary> this week.  Of
course, the Who factor prominently in the Britsh Invasion.  In last
night's show, Pete made some interesting comments about the instrument
breakup thing <which I always thought was rather idiotic>.  First, he
said that in Germany and some parts of the U.S., the police would appear
on stage and point a gun at him and tell him that he couldn't smash
his guitar.  To that, he would reply that it's not a living object and
that he could do bloody well what he wanted with it - they wouldn't
let him continue.  Second, they showed footage of Jimi Hendrix
destroying his guitar at Monteray and Pete said "He's not doing my
act - that IS my act" <whatever that's supposed to mean>.  This was
commentary by Pete of today.

Thought I might share the above.  Anybody else been watching it?

Ken Tanguay
Eatontown, NJ

"What she does to a man - that shaky hand".  -TheWho-