Re: A Quick Sell Out

On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, Martin J Secero wrote:

> Hey Tick!!!!!
>
> RE: the liner notes for A Quick One and Sell Out:
>
> How can you say that the Sell Out liner notes were lacking? What do you call
> the Dave Marsh essay, the unreleased photos, the CD design itself, the
> write-up for each track, the design in the inlay, et. al.? If anything, the
> Chris Stamp essay in the AQO booklet should be considered slight, as his essay
> offers no real insight into the Who's creative process, like Marsh's essay
> does. Yeah, the AQO booklet has the nice repro of the Ready Steady Who EP
> sleeve, but Sell Out's booklet is the gig, man.
>
> Whatever you're smoking, man, pass it on!!!!
>
> Marty Secero

First of all, I believe I used the term lacking in comparison to A Quick
One.  My origional complaint had to do with the scant track wright-ups.
I didn't know that "Origional recording produced by Kit Lambert at
Advision Studios, London, on May 29, 1968.  Previously released on Thirty
Years of Maximun R&B." (Melancholia) was more informative than, "Recorded
at IBC Studios, November 1966.  The electric version of 'Happy Jack'
reached #3 in the UK charts in December 1966.  It was also the first
record by The Who to make the US singles charts.  This acoustic version
is previously unreleased.  Pete plays cello." (Happy Jack).  Thank you
for clearing that up.

Next, The Dave Marsh essay is but one man's opinion about the Who's
"creative Process", and it's relation to the culture at the time.
Frankly this is boring, and I would rather have Pete Townshend talk about
the Who's creative process than Dave Marsh.  The Chris Stamp essay, on
the other hand, is much more interesting. This is anthropology: a man's
observations of the behavior and events that were going on at the time of
the album's inseption.  It is in the events in the lives of the people
involved in which the creative process can be most readally observed.
They had cash advances against the royalties to produce songs. This is a
huge part of the creative process: monitary motivation.  Marsh's
generalizations about Sell Out's relation to the era and its forshadowing
future projects are his opinion as a musicologist (is he a musicologist,
I thout he was in Gang of Four), not as a participant in the Who's
environment.

By the way, the pictures are cool.

That Abubbica guy                        "Don't count your weasels
abubbica@chihuahua.org                    before they pop...dink!"
                                                         -the Tick