re: jason (H&H)

>The studio version of Heaven and Hell seems like it's a Les Paul and hence
>I'd put it around 1971. Does anyone know the actualy recording date?  Thanks.

Yeah, I don't know about '71 (it was the B-side of 'Summertime Blues', 1970).

Wish I could help you there, but I have another rousing question re: H&H.

Has anyone - who has the original single - noticed the sound of (IS IT?)
"crashing glass", right on the last beat of the song?  On ALL re-issues
this sound seems to coincide with a slightly premature fade, which makes
this racket much less obvious.

Similarly, there's an extremely subtle count-in ("3, 4") at the start of
"I DON'T EVEN KNOW MYSELF" on the single only.  (It's almost inaudible when
accompanied by 24 years of crackle.)  Every other re-issue known to the human
species is without this crucial piece of data.

I'm over in Australia, in Newcastle, as a matter of fact (just north of
Sydney),
and have only just discovered LAL in the last week.  Newcastle music stockists
are of the opinion that WHO recordings can somehow not compete in the market
with M. Jackson, Dinosaur Jr, and any collection of unpronouncable Rap
artistes,
so I almost lapsed instantly into a coma when I discovered LAL at a shop that
sells music almost as an afterthought (they do much better with white-goods).

So, I believe my chances of ever seeing the most recent re-issues are fairly
close to zero, unless I try Sydney (or, better still, Brisbane).

But everyone's comments (good & bad) make it all sound very exciting.

Bye,

Jason Paris :>

  jason, I have american copies of both of those singles, in excellent
condition, and yes, there is crashing glass at the end of H&H.  Also, I
must admit that your msg reminded me of the count-in at the beginning of
I Don't Even Know Myself... I have a very clean copy (2 copies, actually)
of this single, and the "...3, 4..." is very audible at the start of the
record.  (I have not noticed if there are other released versions of the
song that include this;  being one of those "eccentric, obsessive,
completist" types, who for some  reason likes to address that pidley stuff,
I will chk into it...
   One other note about the song  Water;  the single (and most compilations
that include it)  includes keith, after the fade, yelling, "..... SOMEBODY...
....GIVE ME....".    BUT, there is an Australian (or New zealand) compilation
called "Rarities"  (how original!!)    that omits this.
   I'm always happy to disect and address these differences.  Of course,
now with the remixed re-issues, there are a ton of new variations to check
out.

                                later,

                                gary