Life with the Moons bootSun Dec 7 12:36:50 PST 1997

I thought that I'd try and review this boot from memory, since I haven't
got a copy of it here with me at University.  I've seen the boot at many
record fairs recently, usually at reduced price!  I haven't got this
particular boot, but the track listing is EXACTLY the same as the
"Reaction: A scoop through the archives" CD, with a few extras tagged on the
end. I'll got the "Reaction" CD about a month before the box set came out, so myexcitement of hearing the unreleased tracks on the box set was slightly
diminished:

(Remember that this is from Memory !)

1. My Generation jingle -The BBC Radio 1 jingle "My radio-station"
2. Here 'Tis -As on the box, but without crisp sound quality.
3. A lot of the early R&B tracks, either single Bsides or featured on Who's
   missing (Daddy Rolling Stone, Lubie, Leaving Here, Bald headed woman,
   Shout and Shimmy etc...) Probably put on, so available on CD format.
4. My Generation/Land of Hope and Glory -I haven't heard anything about
   the new CD re-issues in the UK yet, but this is probably on Sell Out.
5. Early Morning Cold Taxi -No spoken intro as on the box set, and fades
   out much earlier. Acoustic guitar more prominent.
6. Girl's Eyes -As with EMCT, acoustic prominence and early fade out.
7. Glittering Girl -This is very poor quality. It sounds more like a PT
   demo than The Who !  Is this on a re-issue ?
8. Melancholia -As on the box set. I was amazed to hear this, especially
   after reading PT's liner notes on Scoop: "I'm pretty sure that The Who
   never heard this song" !!!!!!!!
9. Fortune Teller -same as box set, except with John's "Oooh's" at the
   beginning as on the live version.
10.Young Man Blues -The studio version as mentioned on the list recently.
   This is obviously recorded straight from the vinyl and is poor quality
   There is even a jump! "Well a young man, ain't got ZZZZZZIP these days.
11.Great Shakes -US Radio ad. Keith "sings" lead vocals.
12.Dogs PtII -Same version, but available on CD.
13.Model Child -I presume an Entwistle song! Very silly sound and lyrics.
   A Tommy outtake that I haven't seen anywhere else since.
14.Various bits of studio dialogue between PT and Keith.  The poetry is
   very funny, and even sounds spontaneous !
15.Baby Don't you do it -As on "LifeHouse to Leeds" boot, but totally
   different mix, with early fadeout.
16.More dialogue. It sounds like Roger laughing in the background
17.Behind Blue Eyes -The false start, where Roger rips his jeans.
   "Let's all have a clear out....(Cough, cough, cough)....but, but, but,
    shut up man, you sound like a motorboat"

This is where "Reaction" ends, but I think that the extra tracks are:

18.I am the Sea/The Real Me -Sea is the whole soundtrack, without The Real
   me interrupting (Which I found to be very useful as a "backing track"
   when my group used to peform The Real Me live!). The Real me is the
   alternate version as featured on the box set. I always thought that this
   was an alternate Quad take, because it sounds so much more like PT's
   demo.  Very odd, but interesting "slap n'slide" JAE bassline !
19.It's In You -labelled "Virginia". This is a "Face Dances" outtake,
   which has a much rockier/meatier sound than the tracks on the album.
   Apparently Roger hated this song!  What ever happened to the studio
   versions of "Dance It Away" and "Face Dances (Part one)" ?
20.I'm a Boy -basically the single, but without any vocals. Probably from
   studio show when vocals were sung live! Great for Karaoke!
21.Tommy's Holiday Camp -Inspirational ! Probably the worst played, but
   funniest live song I've heard. You have to hear it really. Does anybody
   know when and where this was recorded ?
22.One Life's Enough -(I think!) I heard that although it claims to be an
   alternate take, it isn't. A bootlegger's scam !

So there we are. Give somebody who's finished his exams access to E-Mail,
and hours to waste, and see what happens. I've enjoyed writing this, and
I hope that it is of value. I would definitely recommend this boot, or the
Reaction one to any collecter.

I haven't heard anything about the 2 new re-issues here in the UK. No shop
in town has even got a release date! Then again, LaL suddenly appeared one
day. Could somebody (i.e in the US) who has got the new CDs please give a
review of them, as I have above. I'd love to know which "new" tracks have
been released.

Thanks for your patience,

Tim Glasswell
University of Kent