Nitpicking over the CD reissues

To Jay (and the other listers who have complaints about the Quick One and Sell
Out CD reissues):

Listen people, I know that not everyone is going to be totally satisfied with
the new CD rereleases (I have a few issues/suggestions of my own), but let's
admit the fact that MCA/Polydor, Jon Astley, et. al., is handling the whole
campaign with a LOT of care for the finished products. As far as omitting
certain tracks (like Happy Jack and Circles), I think it's safe to say that
MCA/Polydor has an overall strategy for the reissue campaign which is not
overtly apparent yet, simply because the series isn't completed yet!!! My gut
feeling is that, in the case of Happy Jack, since it wasn't originally
intended for the album, it wasn't put on the new reissue. Aesthetically, this
makes sense, as Happy Jack WAS a single after all. It was hastily added to the
US release in '66 due to the single having charted. My wish for the reissue
series is to have each rereleased album reflect the following: 1) All original
album tracks, 2) Non-LP singles (A-sides AND B-sides, in sequential order),
3) Tracks recorded within the same sessions as the album which were left off,
and then released later officially (ala Odds And Sods), and 4) previously
unreleased tracks. The series so far reflects most of the above except for the
A-sides of singles. My feeling on this is that all the Non-LP A-sides will be
saved for the 1-CD Best Of The WHO compilation. This makes sense if you think
about it: why repeat Non-LP A-side tracks, thus taking up extra space on the
album reissues, when all the A-sides can be compiled ONCE on a 1-CD Hits
package? Also, this arrangement compels the buyers (i.e. US) to HAVE to buy
the Hits CD in order to get the remixed remastered A-sides. Make$ $en$e,
Doe$n't it????

As far as the exclusion of Circles from the Quick One reissue, Circles was on
the My Generation album (listed on the U.S. release as Instant Party), and as
we know, that album's tracks were produced by Shel Talmy, who owns the
masters. And, as we all know, MCA/Polydor and the WHO's management are
negotiating with Talmy for the rights to the master tapes, and hopes are high
that all will be OK for the album to be remixed, remastered and included in
the reissue series.

Lastly, as far as Sell Out goes (re: clicking between tracks), the slight
clicking that MAY or MAY NOT be on the disc (I'm still not entirely convinced
that it's not just a dusty CD you're talking about) is but a small price to
pay for: 1) Sound Effects and distorted guitar restored in Armenia City in the
Sky, 2) The first 1/2 second of Tattoo restored (For years I had to listen to
live versions to hear the initial guitar part played properly), 3) First part
of guitar solo on Our Love Was restored, 4) 2nd verse of Rael restored (and
whiny high harmonies mixed down properly), 5) Glittering Girl ("Nuff Said!!),
6) Hall Of the Mountain King (hysterical!!), 7) Last verse of Odorono, 8)
Mary-Anne W/ Shaky Hand (alt. version---Al Kooper gets funky!!!), 9) Glow Girl
(with new ending!). Essentially, everyone involved with this CD took away Kit
Lambert's shoddy, shitty, at times amateur and pathetic production values and
gave us a pretty decent upgrade.

So let's stop nitpicking!!!!!!!! Hope this message didn't offend, but my point
is, let's see the good in what they DID give us so far, not bitch about what
they haven't yet done. The reissue series has only just begun, so let's give
the people in charge a chance to prove themselves. They certainly do so with
Live At Leeds, even with the editing and fake echo on Magic Bus...

Marty Secero