The Who: LAL/Astley in Pro Sound News (fwd)

> Pro Sound News, whose latest issue arrived yesterday has an article with
> astley discussing the hows and all concerning the release of our beloved
> and tinkered with Live At Leeds. After reading the article, it sounds like
> some toying around with the stereo image may have taken place. Possibly by
> accident, since astley points out that it was impossible to change the
> imaging that pete used originally without fucking up the "feeling" of the
> music. However, since they were transferring the original Pye Mobile 8
> tracks to Mitsubishi digital, and then into the Sadie Hard Disk System, and
> the Cedar declicker.... Some things most certainly may have "Moved" when
> flown back to the digital multi. It is nearly impossible not to fuck
> something up along the way when you transfer audio around this way. I have
> screwed things up myself. I admit it. Also, people cant help themselves
> when it comes to this sort of remixing and remastering. Muting, moving
> fader automation, it all contributes to changes. sometimes bad, sometimes
> really bad. A lot of engineers over clean. Astley mentions that the vocal
> track was ran thru a DBX noise reduction unit on the way back to the
> Digital multi in order to reduce noise on the vocal track. I am going to
> fix my turntable, and start listening to my LP again. I never had any
> problem with that lp and I want to see if some of the Echo positioning and
> other new anomolies from the CD are just that, by products of the anal
> digital age of music production.

Anal digital age?  Give me more of it!  I draw the line at
overdubbing drum tracks with session musicians 25 years later (IE :
the Hendrix Voodoo Soup song "Stepping Stone") However as long as
the original musicians are playing on the LAL CD, I have no problems
with trying enhance the ambience.  I think most people agree that
the new release sounds better than the original.  Since they
tinkered with the original release (Magic Bus), I don't see any
fault in using the modern studio technology to better the sound.
The fact that one has to go back to the original release to see if
the echo is a new creation should say a lot for this new release.

OTOH, Im not sure yet if I'm pleased with the Quick One CD sound
wise.  I might have to apply your "over clean" reference here.  Some
of the songs lack the same bite, but maybe I just not used to a
closer resemblance of the master.