Latest WHO News

Hello everybody on the list!!!!!

I just got off the phone with my 2 UK-based friends, Melissa and Gary H.. They
have been working closely with Chris Charlesworth on the WHO reissue series
and Chris' new book "The Complete Guide To The Music Of The Who". We talked
about a lot of WHO-related stuff, and I'd thought I'd share the latest news
with y'all:

* A Quick One has been pushed back to early July in the UK. Sell Out's UK
  release date may be pushed back to the same date as well, but as of now
  they're still scheduled for June 20 release in the US.

* Yes, Odds and Sods is planned as a 2-CD set - no release date yet.

* Since the Tommy album was remastered in 1993, it will not be included in
  the reissue series (Makes sense, eh?).

* The status of Quadrophenia and what to do with it is still in the air. The
  master tapes are apparently not in such good shape.

* The Best Of The WHO 1-CD greatest hits MAY be out by end of the year, but
  it's not certain.

* Warner Home Video had planned to release the WHO's Isle Of Wight 1970 show
  on home video this coming September, but Bill Curbishley pulled it due to
  the masters being in bad condition. He didn't want to put an inferior
  product out in the marketplace. Apparently there were some dark passages in
  the film.

* Who's Next has been put on hold, as Pete Townshend himself is writing the
  liner notes, with the intent of including the "complete story of Lifehouse"
  in the overall package. Richard Barnes will be involved as well. Also, Mary
  and Time Is Passing have definitely been axed, and the running order, as
  reflected in the June issue of Record Collector (and reprinted here on the
  list) may be changed by the time Pete is done.

* Roger D.'s one-off gig at the Glastonbury Festival will NOT happen, as Roger
  has pulled out. Roger IS planning some possible European shows in December,
  with at least a date in France pretty much confirmed at this time.

* The entire WHO reissue series seems to have been slowed down by Bill
  Curbishley's involvement with the Page/Plant World Tour. Is Bill too busy
  with the Zepsters to give a damn about the WHO?

* Simon Townshend did a recent gig in England; word was that the gig was
  "pretty good", and that Simon was wearing a t-shirt which was signed by many
   US WHO fans.

* Doc Martens is printing a special t-shirt for the WHO Convention, to be held
  in the UK this September. The shirt will have Pete on it.

Melissa and Gary wanted me to ask those on the list from up north: How is the
Toronto production of "Tommy" doing? Please send any replies to me via e-mail.

Thanks for listening, everybody. See you on the list!!!!!

Marty Secero

"Extra, Extra, Read all about it..."