re: PT's Ascension Two

 The date is what really mystifies me on this track since the personel seem
so odd.  Kenny did play on Empty Glass and with PT on those Rock Against
Racism shows in '79, Rabbit played on Face Dances and Empty Glass, Entwistle
appeared only briefly on Rough Mix and I've never heard producer Steve
Lillywhite's name mentioned in any Who-related work.  These musicians did all
work on the 1980 McVicar soundtrack, but the people involved and the sound of
this song itself make it a difficult piece to date.
  As for Siege, there were two tracks appearing on Another Scoop specifically
tied to it, Cat Snatch and Ask Yourself as well as a couple other tunes
demoed 1982-early '83 and they are heavy on the synth.  To quote the liner
note from Ask Yourself, "One idea I hit on while culling ideas for the
aborted last Who album was called Siege.  It was rooted in the idea that each
of us is a soul in siege.  I abandoned the idea in March '83.  Ask Yourself
(with Cat Snatch) was one of the few pieces I worked on.  Siege was based
musically on a series of five black note repititions.  Ask Yourself contains
an hypnotic exploration of one of these repititions."  Doug