Re: Claptons Rainbow Concert

John Johanneson writes:

For the first show EC played a "Blackie" Fender Strat, and for
the second show used a Les Paul. No mention of Pete, but the cover
photo shows him playing what looks like a big Gibson hollow body
(at least to my untrained eye).

I picked up the Clapton Rainbow CD last night, and was pleased to see PT's
prominence in the pictures. I need to clarify, though, that Pete's "big
Gibson hollow body guitar" is actually his beloved Gretsch hollow body. The
story goes that Joe Walsh (then in the James Gang) gave Pete the Gretsch circa
1970, and Pete's used the guitar pretty regularly ever since on his WHO & solo
studio projects. The sound Pete gets out of the Gretsch is a ringing, sizzling
, hard-edged sound. I think the Clapton Rainbow gig may be the only gig where
Pete used the Gretsch. Otherwise, he was, at that time, playing Gibson SGs and
Les Pauls on stage. For some cool footage of Pete in action with his Gretsch,
check out the intro "Give Blood" segment of Pete's "White City" videofilm from
1985.

Marty Secero

"Pick up my guitar and play"