The Moon-Man and his drumming (fwd)

> A)No, I don't admit his skills were slipping at all prev., but, I DO admit they
> were on the Kids Are Alright: Won't Get Fooled again. B) and coke only
> gives one the perception that one is playing better; when actually one is not,
> and in C) '76 I had not as yet drank, smoked, toked, or snorted, and thus,
> sonic overload notwithstanding, my perception was clear, and I can say
> he played as good as ever...
>
> D) I do admit as I said before he changed his style somewhat to fit the
> more "modern" rock sound Pete was fitting into in the 70s, but I found
> his adaptability was very clever here.  Again I find no fault in Moon's
> Quad stuff. I frankly don't care what traps I fall into.  E) I never lost
> an argument or debate I wasn't otherwise willing to at the outset.
> Never have, never will.

mmmmhmmm :)

As a drummer and very huge follower of Mr. Moon, I feel I have some
credibility when dealing with this subject.

My feelings are this:  Keith Moon never sounded better in the studio
than on Who's Next.  Bargain without a doubt has to be his zenith on
record.  On Quadrophenia, the quick little nuances that were on Who's Next
were missing.  I'm not so sure if it was a decline or the fact that
he wasn't as comfortable with Pete's new direction.  (I'll take the
latter here) He was relying more on the beats and his standard
drum fills.  However, if anyone doubts his ability in '73, listen
to "Tales From the Who".  He's still on the beat, and in fact
it's some of the most powerful drumming (live) this side of John
Bonham that I've ever heard.

Now here's where I differ with Jeff.  By the 1975 tour, it was
showing.  However there were moments that he'd come alive and be his
old self again.  See the "modern" Pete hypothesis doesn't fly live
because they were still performing some of the same material from
1970.  One listen to Summertime Blues in Detroit '75 to Leeds '70
and you CAN hear the change.  Speaking of Detroit '75, there is one
part during that incredible "My Gen/Join Together/RoadRunner/My Gen
Blues" medley where the old Keith suddenly wakes up and he's there
tearing up the kit.  It's simply awesome the way he and Pete lock
during that break.  But without much doubt, Keith was not THE Keith
Moon by then.  On WBN, his drumming I feel is on par with
Quadrophenia, but the live performance is what changed.  That still
doesn't mean Keith was an inferior drummer at that point, no way.
He just wasn't superhuman anymore.