LIVE AT LEEDS PREVIEW

Hello Everyone!!!!!

Last Weds 2/22 I called MCA Records in NYC and asked the Publicity Dep't. if I
could get an advance copy of the Live At Leeds reissue for review. Well, lo
and behold, an Airborne Express package was sent to me the VERY NEXT
DAY!!!!!!! MCA's package included a personalized letter to me, a two-page
press release, a CD booklet (presumably from the regular release), and a
nondescript cassette with a blue MCA cover and the words "The WHO - Live at
Leeds" on the cassette itself. I was FLOORED. So, like any WHO fan would, I've
been listening to the cassette non-stop since Thursday 2/23. Let me tell you,
people, you're all in for the ride of your lives!

Here's a brief synopsis/review of the new Live at Leeds:

1) Heaven and Hell - Glorious!! John's first vocal bit almost sounds like it
was overdubbed, but that's probably a reflection of the work that Jon Astley
put into cleaning up the master tapes. Some powerful instrumental interplay
between Pete, John and Keith as well. Simply put, the song has never sounded
better.

2) I Can't Explain - Backing vocals on this are superb!! Moon is all over the
place, propelling the song forward with flurries of triplets. Listen to the
monster drum roll after the second "I know what it means but..."! And during
Pete's second solo, Keith and John hammer their instruments in the same
staccato manner as Pete. It's almost like the main pulse is lost for a few
seconds, but then BAM!!! Right on the beat again. Fantastic, the best version
of this song, EVER, IMHO.

3) Fortune Teller - The WHO performed this song at most shows during the Tommy
tours of 1969-1970. This version rips with a sonic clarity second to none.
Nice guitar embellishments by Pete, and Moon's pulse stays consistent during
the transition from slow to fast toward the song's end. Again, IMHO, possibly
the best version of this song. Roger's intro is genuine, but Moon has to
inject his own words in as well. When Roger lists other artists who've done
the song, Keith makes sure Rog doesn't forget the Merseybeats and "Felix the
Cat". Also, listen closely before the guitar intro---Pete says "Ours is the
most important version". Fortune Teller leads directly into....

4) Tattoo - Another favorite of theirs at the time, this "Sell Out" tune gets
the grand live treatment. Roger's vocal phrasings shine here, particularly on
the line "When I die....". Keith's decorative drumming and steady bass drum
foot really astound here.

5) Young Man Blues - Remixed and remastered, this performance is enhanced by
the addition of 8 bars of a ripping Pete solo that was missing from the
original LP. In reality, there were 16 bars originally (See the Lifehouse to
Leeds bootleg CD for the full unedited version). I feel that they should have
included the songs in their entirety, bum notes and all. However, Jon Astley
apparently felt that where there were gaffs in performances, he would either
honor the original edits, or do a "band-aid" approach and splice in notes that
make the performance flow better and sound more musical. More on this later.
Intro by Pete and Keith from the boxed set.

6) Substitute - Intro by Pete from the boxed set. Great, though short, version
which all WHO fans are familiar with by this time. This leads into...

7) Happy Jack - There has been some debate recently on the WHOlist about the
source of the TKAA version of this song. I'm happy to say that this version is
the EXACT same version as the TKAA one. Big difference is the new remix, which
gives a wonderful sonic clarity. Killer drums by Keith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then we get....

8) I'm a Boy - Miles above the studio version, this performance is punctuated
by great harmonies and a nice ascending bass line in the verses. Again, Keith
rules in this song!!!!! FYI---the Leeds performances of I Can't Explain, Happy
Jack, and I'm a Boy have all been available to WHO collectors before this,
either on the TKAA soundtrack, Lifehouse to Leeds, or The WHO - Archives vinyl
bootleg circa 1980-1981.

9) A Quick One While He's Away - HYSTERICAL intro by Pete and Keith!!!!
A powerful version, with wonderful vocal interplay during the "You Are
Forgiven" finale. Listen to the drums during "Ivor the Engine Driver"!!!!!!!

10) Amazing Journey/Sparks - The only Tommy tracks on the disc, and boy do
they sizzle!!!!! Sparks is my favorite instrumental song ever, and this
performance is so exciting that it's hard to drive while listening to it!!!
Keith's playing hits a peak here-----the triplet patterns swirl around Pete
and John's parts perfectly. Just incredible....I'm speechless (almost)....

11) Summertime Blues - Better sonic clarity than the original, with one
exception---after the last chorus, a strong "B" guitar chord is "inserted"
into the mix where it was just a sloppy chord on the original.

12) Shakin All Over - Sounds wonderful, with one BIG disappointment: no
"Spoonful"!!!! Roger's vocals are turned up and/or down at different points
during the long jam section. The ONLY negative about the whole thing.

13) My Generation - I love this long, jamming version, with all the different
riffs and segments. The quieter sections with just Pete's guitar are
thankfully turned up in the mix. A nice surprise: a feedback-laden solo by
Pete at the end, which was not included originally.

14) Magic Bus - No added length, as originally stated by MCA, but the original
album's backwards-guitar effect just before the second verse (a studio trick
from Pete) is replaced with simple triplet guitar strumming, exactly as it was
during the actual performance.

Well, folks, there you have it---Live At Leeds, 1995. This CD ROCKS!!! If
anyone ever doubted that the WHO had fire and power, just hand them the Leeds
CD and say, "Call me in the morning"!!!!!!!

If the rest of the MCA WHO reissue campaign goes anything like this (and
judging from the advance Sell Out track list, it will), then we WHO fans have
every reason to rejoice. For the WHO's catalog is finally being given the
treatment it undoubtedly deserves!!!!

Marty Secero