Re: cross-postSun Dec 7 12:25:00 PST 1997

> The following was posted to alt.music.lyrics--
> Sender: oatc@netcom16.netcom.com
>
> Hey, don't get me wrong.  I love Pete Townshend's music; always have,
> always will.  But some of his songs, specifically on his "Empty Glass"
> album, got me wondering...
>
> Consider the song, "Rough Boys."  All that talk about "Rough Boys under
> the sheets"  and "come a little closer" and "I want to bite and kiss you."
> Just what is Pete saying here?  This song really rocks is one of my
> favorites of his solo songs; I especially like how he ends the song with
> those screechy brass/strings sounds building up and up.  But what do the
> lyrics mean?

 If Pete is bi, he's bi. For some reason, I remember this was big
 when he was doing that radio interview where he said that, in my
 words, something about his womanly side.

 Now, I cant say that we should start a philisophical thread about
 whether or not it takes a real man to admit to something like that
 or whether or not its a label of an emotion that he describes as
 a "womanly side", but my guess is that he was refering to the "soft
 side" that everyone really has.

 If a man is supposedly defined as a tough, strong, determined, never
 - say - die DUDE, and not defined WITH a second side, like the side
 that gives you compassion, makes you depressed, makes you feel bad
 when someone dies..

 Its hard to say, and i dont want to get into a debate about female
 and male roles in society, but I have to give Pete Townshend
 the "Balls" award for speaking whatevers on his mind and not being
 afraid of any body thinking what he meant about any comments or
 any lyrics that he wrote.

 Pete rules. Down to earth mofo that doesnt snub. Whatever he does
 or says if fine with me. I thank him for the music, and the way
 I feel after hearing it. I listen to the songs and hear it my
 way . I dont get so so into it that I have to deciphre if he
 meant he was gay, bi, or straight.

 Maybe he was writing songs to equal out EVERYONES sexuality.

 Are there no gay Who fans ? Well, they can relate, possibly, just
 like I as a heterosexual, would relate more to the Girl+Guy
 songs.

 Whatever. Im rambling. Sorry/

 Pete