Re: Cincinnati

On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Dave Elliott wrote:

>  The band wrote to the families, and all sides seem to mourn
> together without finger pointing or lawsuits.  But Townshend had an
> interview a year or two later, where he talked about how the band convinced
> themselves to go on by telling themselves how important they were, and that
> 11 lives shouldn't matter to them (obvious vague paraphrase).

Unfortunately, my copy of that is under 100 lbs. of stuff, so I won't
dig it out.  But Pete has said that he was embarrassed by the things
he said, because he said things in a humorous mocking/sarcastic way (I
remember something about "sent flower to the fucking funerals") which
looked bad in print but which he didn't mean the way it read.

Also, I noticed on a recent release (I think it was "The Amazing
Journey" video documentary on "Tommy" that everyone who commented on
Cincinnati (Roger and Bill Curbishley, but not Pete that I remember)
said only the most bland, brief, sympathetic things about it -- I
could practically see their lawyers handing them the statement to
memorize.  I don't expect ever to hear anything more, at least on the
record, than such statements.

Alan